新傳網 SY MediaLab Big Data [ SY MLBD ]
Purpose of the Project
This is a worldwide collaboration project to collect mobile phone applications at any time, at any place in the world. Through real-time data display, readers can understand how people are using mobile applications. Researchers can explore trends with the longitudinal data. Raw data is available to the public. Registered users can download the raw data and analyze the data in their own ways.
Steps to collect data:
- Search SY MediaLab Big Data (SYMLBD) to download the app from App Store or Google Play;
- Register with your email;
- Get a code from SYMLBD reply email (check also Trash / Spam mailbox);
- Key in the code to start;
- Remember to turn on GPS;
- See what people are using, choose one from the eight application icons;
- If you want to change, press the icon again to remove it;
- Collect up to 5 data, press Next;
- Select Context from the list, click Submit; and
- You can see a note that the data is sent, you can start again for the next round.
- Collect data only if you do not disturb people;
- Data collection do not involve any personal identity to keep data anonymous;
- There would be auto check to remind you to turn on GPS, to inform you to download the latest version of the app, to notify if the data is sent;
- If you have an earlier version, you need to uninstall the old one first;
- The code is matched with your email. If you use the same email to register, you will always receive the same code.
- Multi-tasking: If a person texts and listens to music at the same time, we count this situation as ” texting” instead of “listening”;
- Watching video on social media: Count it as “social media” but not “watching video”.
- Realtime chart - http://www.symedialab.org.hk/symlbd/rt-chart.php
- Download raw data – will be available soon
- For enquiry about the project, please email at: email@example.com
How to cite: SY MediaLab (2016). SY MediaLab Big Data Project, Department of Journalism and Communication, Hong Kong Shue Yan University. Retrieved from http://www.symedialab.org.hk/symlbd/index.html